Friday, June 25, 2010

Swap switch-up




As I said in a previous post, usually Thursday is swap night.  Kelley goes to my house and I go to hers.  We live about an hour away from each other, so it gives us a little extra time with the guys.  Normally the kids stay put in their own houses.  This week, however, Kelley had an appointment early Friday morning, so we switched swap to Wednesday night and had the guys drive.  In addition, Cheesemeister decided to take BB with him over to Kelley's because the girls hadn't seen each other in a long time.  That left me and J with a night alone, which is a rare and wonderful occurrence.  I do feel bad for Kelley and Cheesemeister, dealing with the kids, but we'll take our turn soon enough so they can have the luxury as well.... :-)

J and I both tend to lean towards being night people, so we usually stay up pretty late when we're together.  The other night, at 1 am, after the consumption of two pieces of chocolate and coconut cream pie (YUM!), J decides to go look at the interwebz and watch several "literal videos," this being one of the best:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj-x9ygQEGA So we stayed up and watched several of those before I either had a sugar crash (you know, from the pie) or I just really wanted to sleep.  

Thursday morning, I got up and didn't shower, brush my hair or put on makeup....I threw my hair in a pony tail and went to work.  The going part was hard, as it is every time we have to leave Kelley or J or they have to leave us.  I wish circumstances were different and we didn't live so far away.  We all want to live together....the economy and the values of homes in Michigan right now make that impossible for responsible people, which we all are.  Our house has fallen in value by  30% in two years... We owe much more on it then it's worth right now.  Kelley and J bought their house several years ago, but would most likely be in the same situation.  So, we're stuck.  Stuck driving an hour back and forth to see each other.  

We spend most weekends together, which is great, but also makes things hard on a couple levels.  For one, that leaves little weekend quality time (QT) with spouses since we tend to sleep with our BF/GF's when we're all together.  So spouses get the weekday nights when everyone is tired and grumpy from a full day at work.  It also leaves almost no time for the home-owner necessities like mowing, cleaning, organizing, laundry, yard work, etc. etc.  We've tried to spend some time on these things at whichever house we're at, but we usually have so much stuff planned and want to have fun, not do work. 

So, that's just another challenge to non-cohabitating poly life.  It is a struggle on many levels... but as we've discussed many times, the benefits of this completely outweigh the challenges... and I'll take a dirty house and too-tall grass any day to get to spend time with my loves...

No comments:

Post a Comment