Thursday, June 24, 2010

On Being "Out"

 I've been trying to decide in which direction to take this blog... Do I talk about the day to day logistics of being in a quad relationship?  Do I talk about the emotional ups and downs?  Do I talk about my hopes, desires, fantasies...?  What I've come up with is that I'm not going to have a direction....  Kelley may decide that she is going to use the blog to do one or all of the above mentioned things... that's up to her.  For me, I guess you'll just get to read whatever is on my mind at the moment... hold on, because I have some major ADHD and my mind hops around A LOT.  :-)   In fact, as I write this, my mind has already been like, "I want to blog about this! No, I want to blog about that! Ooooh, how about this!!!"  So I'm going to start a list of things I want to blog about.  Today, i will focus on the idea of being out....

Kelley and I will need to talk about how much we share on here too.  Since we're currently using our real names (though first names only), if someone we knew happened upon this blog, it could be a bad thing.  We're not totally out.  None of our parents know, and few business associates know.  I'm lucky because I am a social worker in HIV/AIDS and my coworkers tend to be much more open-minded about alternative families.  I am out to most people at work... Kelley works for corporate America,  Cheesemeister (as I've decided to call my husband; Kelley's husband is yet to be named, so I'll call him J until we come up with something better) , as I said yesterday, recently left his job so there are no worries there.  J works for a large company, which shall go unnamed...but he deals with computers and internet security.   So right now, I'm the only one out at work.  It's nice being out at work.  I have pictures of my whole family up on the wall in my office and can openly talk about Kelley & J without anyone going, "Just who are these people, and why does she talk about them so much!?!"  A couple of my coworkers are also good friends, and get an earful of TMI when it comes to Kelley & J.  I am the queen of TMI, but hey, it's part of my charm ;-)


So I think we've all been struggling with wanting to tell our parents. None of us have yet.  I have 3 sisters, 2 of whom know about Kelley & J.  My one sister is very religious (we'll call her "C").  Her husband and she have two children who are 8 and 6.  I will probably not tell them until absolutely necessary (like, when we all move in together), but I know she is suspicious... Recently, we had a dinner for Father's Day with my parents, sisters and their families.  Kelley & J were supposed to be with us that weekend, so I told my family that we'd come, if we could bring them along.  Everyone said, "Sure! The more the merrier!"  and then, I get an email from C saying something like, "I really like K&J, and have no problem with them coming, but why are they coming?  I just think it's kind of weird."  She has made other comments about the fact that we hang out every weekend with them and finds it odd... so I think she is on to us.... and I guess if she ever asks point blank, I will tell her.  But for now, I am hesitant about how she's going to react with respect to the kids-both hers and ours.  


It's great that I am able to talk openly about the situation with my other two sisters, S & A.  S is married and the oldest, has been my closest sister and loves Kelley & J.  :)  A is the youngest and she's a bit of a bitch, but she is supportive and also loves them.   I am very close with my family and my parents, so it is kind of hard keeping this from them.  I want my parents to know and accept them into our family.  My parents are really great about "adopting" our friends, boyfriends, etc. and have already taken to Kelley & J...but not in the way I want them to.  My mom asked about our rings a couple weeks ago, and I stumbled all over to avoid the question.  Cheesemeister looked at me like, "Really? You think they're going to believe that?"  I am a horrible liar, and I don't want to lie about this.  I want to shout it from the rooftops.  I am so lucky to have what I have and I really want my parents to know.  I am going to tell my mom soon, and dad will follow when her and I feel is a good time to tell them.  My mom is pretty open and pretty soon, she'll be using a picture of my family to demonstrate "Alternative families" in her class.   *lolz* 


Well, to work with me..... 


p.s. I miss you Kelley.... <3<3<3

No comments:

Post a Comment